1. Overall subject intent
In the maths directorate, we strive to ensure that all students leave school with the confidence to succeed in mathematics. We are committed to ensuring that children are able to recognise the importance of maths in the wider world and that they are able to use their mathematical skills and knowledge confidently in their lives in a range of different contexts.
We aim to provide a personal, challenging and engaging mathematical education, using the curriculum to develop confidence, communication and problem solving skills. We are committed to developing children’s curiosity about the subject, as well as an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics.
2. Are there annual events that take place within the subject or do you do something different that makes your subject stand out?
We participate in annual STEM events, the national maths challenge, we also have external speakers involved from the fields of both finance and engineering.
3. Special in-school facilities (labs, library with librarian, instruments, design/tech equipment etc)
4. Any careers and stakeholder involvement in curriculum planning and delivery e.g. visits from authors, to universities, from industry, community projects (identify the year group if applicable)
As part of a program to encourage students to pursue maths after GCSE, we participate in a maths inspiration seminar at Newcastle University, this is aimed at students who wish to study maths A Level and potentially degree level maths.
5. Extracurricular activities linked to the subject offered both at lunchtime and after school, this could also include regular residential trips/field work.
6. Highlight any apps/ or resources that students will use
Students will regularly use Hegarty Maths (Soon to be renamed Sparx Maths) this is used for both homework and independent revision. Students are also directed to use Corbett Maths, Maths Genie and On Maths when preparing for end of term tests.
Qualification Name: GCSE Maths 8300
Exam Board: AQA
Website Link: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse
Exam and Coursework Information: Three papers of equal weighting, each 90 minutes in duration, they can each contain any topics from the syllabus
Contact Name: Mrs Samantha Daniels
Contact e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualification Name: A – Level Maths
Exam Board: Edexcel
Website Link: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-mathematics-specification-issue4.pdf
Exam and Coursework Information: Three exams each 2 hours in length, papers 1 and 2 contain pure maths, paper 3 contains statistics and mechanics
Contact Name: Mrs Kay Davison
Contact e-mail: email@example.com